1. In order to prevent the bodies from remaining on the cross on the sabbath, the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
2. So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with him;
3. but when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.
4. But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water.
5. After this Joseph of Arimathe'a, who was a disciple of Jesus, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus.
6. Pilate gave him leave. So he came and took away his body.
7. "Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by? Look and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow.
-John 19:31-34, 38; Lam 1:12(Picture from Jesus Christ: Images, Art and Photographs.)
| Fifth Sorrow | Seventh Sorrow | Seven Sorrows Index | Site Index | Home Page |