1. To (the apostles Jesus) presented himself alive after his passion by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days, and speaking of the kingdom of God.
2. And while staying with them he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, "you heard from me,
3. for John baptized with water, but before many days you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
4. So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?"
5. He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has fixed by his own authority.
6. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Sama'ria and to the end of the earth."
7. Then he led them out as far as Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them.
8. While he blessed them, he parted from them, and was carried up into heaven.
9. And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven?
10. This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven."
("The Ascension" Icon from Novgorod Icon Gallery.)
| Last Mystery | Next Mystery | Rosary Page | Site Index | Home Page |