1. In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph; and the virgin's name was Mary.
2. And he came to her and said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you!"
3. But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and considered in her mind what sort of greeting this might be.
4. And the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.
5. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.
6. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David.
7. He will reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there will be no end."
8. Mary said to the angel, "How shall this be, since I have no husband?"
9. The angel said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.
10. And Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.
(Annunciation Icon from Our Lady's Gallery.)
| Next Mystery | Rosary Page | Site Index | Home Page |